Sunday, October 10, 2010

my husbands favorite chili

IMG_1834

My husband and I are still here in Colorado taking some time to visit with family before I head out tomorrow for work. Today it was a cozy rainy Sunday and my hubby asked his mom to show us how to make his favorite chili- a favorite of his growing up. And I must say it was SUPER yummy so I just had to share this easy and healthy recipe.


IMG_1789

In a large pan- brown 1 lb of lean ground beef (or ground turkey).


IMG_1793

Add 1/2 large onion chopped and cook until the onion is clear.


IMG_1797

Add 1-2 cloves of garlic minced or pressed in a garlic press.


t

Add 2 cans of stewed tomatoes.


IMG_1806

1 can of kidney beans


IMG_1809

1 can of chili beans


tt

2 tablespoons of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon of onion powder


IMG_1810

2 tablespoons of sugar


IMG_1814

1 can of spicy HOT V-8 vegetable juice


IMG_1833

Simmer on low for at least 1 hour- but the longer it simmers the better :)


IMG_1838

Of course you can't have chili without cornbread so we made a batch of cornbread-

1 cup of flour
1 cup of cornmeal
2-4 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup of cooking oil

Mix the dry ingredients together.
Mix the wet ingredients together.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until it is all moistened.
Spoon batter into a well greased pan and bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minute.


IMG_1841

Cut up and serve with the chili.


IMG_1837

Oh so delicious!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

looks soooo good. have you tried it with a pinch of powdered cumin?

Theresa Plas said...

Looks yummy! Can't wait for chili weather here!

Rosie said...

Oh yummy!! I just wanted to tell you how inspired I am by your book "Canvas Remix". It arrived today and I love the projects - they are right up my alley, as we say here!! Even my DH loves this book - he helped me rip up my first canvas!! Thank you! xo

Gingko said...

Tried your chilli tonight, my family loved it! We are in the UK and had never tried cornbread before, it's delishiscrum! Definately be making again.

Anonymous said...

That's one yum looking chilli!
Have you tried putting dark chocolate in there? Sounds nuts but it's delish!
x

Sasha Holloway said...

I might have to inspire my hubby with this when he gets back from Germany YUM.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails